Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Interesting Words

Some have classified me as a loner in the past. I'd say in some cases, that's true. I like to hang out with friends and colleagues more often than not but you can reach a limit where too much contact can be detrimental to your psyche in my humble opinion.

I have just read 2 quotes that I like a lot that seem to say very clearly what I think. I thought I'd share them.

I found these on a newsletter I get called Love Your Work from Crosswalk.com. I tried to find the specific link but could not. I'll post the sayings and brief snips from the newsletter:

"Great Work Comes from Solitude"
Dan Miller
Many people are most creative and productive when they are secluded or left alone.

"Solitude is for me a fount of healing which makes my life worth living. Talking is often torment for me, and I need many days of silence to recover from the futility of words. " Carl G. Jung

"We have to remember that we look for solitude in order to grow there in love for God and in love for others. We do not go into the desert to escape people but to learn how to find them: we do not leave them in order to have nothing more to do with them, but to find out the way to do them the most good." Thomas Merton

Silence is not just a void space. Silence is often where God is, waiting to burst forth with the possibility of a creative solution or a miraculous thought. Out of the silence comes the next chapter in a book or the opening chords of a symphony. Out of silence comes the natural breathing rhythm of restful rejuvenation and healthy optimism.

So sometimes, I retreat to a secluded place, but I'd wager that when you see me next, I'll be a better person and a better friend. I may even have answers I, or you, are looking for.

No comments: