Saturday, July 24, 2010

I found an annoying problem from iOS4 the other day!

This irked me so that I had to make a quick video the other day that can be
seen at:
http://ping.fm/7ULt1

Basically the problem is with the alert / badge system on the iOS4.

When you get an alert, video stops! Why is this so annoying?

A lot of the time, when I'm cooking, washing the dishes, working, reading,
even taking a shower, I like to multitask. While I'm doing other things, I
usually will play a podcast, usually a video podcast in the background.
With the iPad on the old OS, when an alert for email, fb, twitter, baseball
game or other event comes up, the video will keep right on playing with an
overlayed alert badge on top. That's the way it should be.

Now, on iOS4, at every alert, video stops! From just some of the tasks I
mentioned above, you can see how it would be quite a hassle to stop and have
to touch the screen to get rid of the alert and restart the paused video
(especially when showering or cooking). I listen to a lot of news or
educational broadcasts. That's precious minutes that I'm missing out on
information that might be interesting or usable later. I just can't stand
it.

Don't get me wrong, I love iOS4 but if I'm getting baseball, cricket, email,
updates for example (which I don't want to turn off), this at times makes me
restart video 4 or 5 times in an hour. It get's real annoying real fast.

I'm going to try to use the iPad for most of my video watching now in these
situations but I'm going to want to upgrade when iOS4 comes out for this
device and unless they change this feature/annoyance back to the way it was,
I'm just going to end up with the same problem. Aaaaargh! I wish there was
a solution.

That's it for my rant, thanks for reading!

No comments: